The eleven commandments of green carpet care
CFR, a manufacturer of recycling carpet extractors, has just released the “Eleven Commandments of Green Carpet Care.”
The commandments are designed to help make carpet care Greener and healthier for cleaning professionals, carpet cleaning technicians, building users, and the environment.
“The professional carpet cleaning industry has not jumped on the Green bandwagon as completely as the jansan industry,” says Doug Berjer, Product Manager for CFR. “But the [carpet cleaning] industry is getting Greener, and as it does, these ‘commandments’ are designed to help clarify what it is all about.”
Accordingly, here are CFR’s Eleven Commandments of Green Carpet Care:
1. Vacuum frequently and thoroughly. As carpets become soiled, they can attract more soil, negatively impacting indoor environments.
2. Always use HEPA or high-filtration vacuum cleaners.
3. Select Green cleaning agents and spotters whenever possible.
4. Remove spots as soon as they are noticed, spots can attracting more soiling
5. Clean carpets when needed and not on a set schedule to save energy, water, and chemical usage.
6. Do not overwet carpets when cleaning using the extraction method.
7. Select carpet extractors that recycle water/cleaning solution to use water and chemical more efficiently.
8. Extract as much moisture as possible when cleaning carpets to speed drying time and reduce the possibility of mold or mildew.
9. If using conventional cleaning chemicals or spotters, use the mildest solution possible to handle the cleaning task at hand.
10. Always neutralize high-alkaline or high-acid cleaners after use.
“There is actually an 11th commandment as well,” says Berjer. “Facility managers should be encouraged to install carpeting. When kept clean and well maintained, carpets can help protect indoor air quality and keep facilities healthier.”