"I would have never thought it could happen, never," said mom Charyl Szydloski, still in shock months after the freak incident inside their home.

The family had hardwood floors installed in July. Two days after the installation, 10-year-old Braden Szydloski was running through the living room. The family says he fell and slid on his backside. A piece of one plank came loose and impaled him.

"I didn't know how big it was," Braden said.

The strip was long -- 13 inches lodged under his skin, entering the very bottom of the left side of his rear end, and reaching his waistband. His family rushed him to one hospital, which sent him to another for emergency surgery. See the full story at www.kvue.com.