The fact is if you don’t have a locked down repeatable way of doing it right it won’t matter what size company you are because customers will be unhappy and profits will be elusive. Everything that goes right and goes wrong can be traced back to how we do this simple but vital first step with the customer.
The key thing when answering the phone is to do it in a way that the caller feels:
- 1. They reached
the right number.
2. The person they’re talking to is friendly and cares.
3. That they will be taken care of in a professional manner.
The first step is to have a good hands-free headset or earpiece so you can leave your hands available. Available for what? Available to work when you’re undisturbed and free to write the message down from the caller.
But write on what? The answer is a simple one-page form attached to a clipboard you carry with you, and that form includes:
3. Home phone (or office phone)
4. Cell phone
6. Nature of the call
7. Day and time slot promised
8. A note to put it on the scheduling calendar
simple calendar you’ve bought or printed up if you’re out in the field.
wall calendar if you’re in the office.
- A desk
calendar if you’re in the office.
- A day planner, which works better because you can take it into the field or use when in the office.
- 1. You can capture the data base
information and even build some service history.
2. You will have captured all the contact information in one place.
3. You will have a calendar and can setup recurring dates and reminders.
4. And if you’re running three trucks or less this can work without spending too much money.
One last thing to remember, no matter how big or small your company, you need to learn how to prioritize calls in dispatching because you have to know how to make the decision each day as to which customers will:
- 1. Love you because they got served quickly.
2. Like you because you eventually showed up the same day.
3. Not like you so much because you had to reschedule.
Announcement:The Step by Step Success program solves the “Contractor Overwhelm” issue by offering one simple, powerful business building Step at a time. Through interactive teleseminars and one-to-one coaching in Office Hours,Al LeviandEllen Rohrwill help contractors implement ONE action each month that will help them make more money and start living a better life.
One simple Step … one problem SOLVED every month. Topics include …
- Firefighting 101 teaches you how to handle ANY problem … once and for all.
- Establishing yourself as someone worth playing with, following and fighting for.
- Launching laser-focused direct marketing to get massive results on a shoestring budget.